Belts were designed with a particular purpose in mind: to keep trousers from sliding down. However, these days they take more of a styling consideration. Women wear belts to adorn or enhance outfits - or to keep clothing items at a certain height.
Belts can be worn with trousers, skirts, dresses and jeans and every woman should own at least one.
Women's Belts: Everything you need to know
What are the different types of Women’s Belts?
The types of women’s belts are vast, and every year one or two more styles are added. We have listed the most popular and practical of these.
- Leather Belt: A classic leather strap with a simple belt buckle, that can be worn with any clothing item.
- Wide Belt: A large belt typically worn around the waist, with dresses, or under cardigans.
- Skinny Belt: A thin belt that can be worn with trousers but also with dresses, long tops and jackets to singe in the waist.
- Waist Belt: A shorter belt specifically designed to wear around the middle to create an hourglass look.
- Buckle Belt: A belt that has the buckle as its feature. These are popular with designer belts.
- Suspender Belt: Suspenders used to only for men and served a practical purpose. However, women have taken to them and wear them as a fashion item.
- Braided Belt: A braided belt is more of a summer accessory as it gives a straw-like illusion. It can be worn with trousers and shorts but is mostly accessories with dresses.
What are the best belts?
The best belt will depend on your taste and your reason for buying it. The most versatile are leather belts because they suit almost every outfit and occasion. They are easy to buckle or tie and can be worn around the hips, waist and middle.
When should you not wear a belt?
A belt is not necessary when you are wearing your shirt over your trousers. However, when a belt is used to singe in the waist to add something extra to an outfit, it can be worn as it suits your preference.
How long should a belt last?
Fashion belts are wearable for a season. However, if you buy a leather belt in a neutral colour such as black, brown or tan, you can expect it to last and stay in style for many years.
Do you have to wear a belt if you tuck your shirt in?
If your trouser does not have loops and is well-fitted there is no need to wear one. However, adding a belt to a look ties it together, whether your shirt is half-tucked or partially tucked (French tuck).
Women’s belts are a versatile accessory that is suited to almost any occasion, outfit and season. The fashion-forwardness of certain styles may take preference for some years, but investing a good quality neutral belt will allow you to always have the option to add flair to your outfits.
Photo by Asiya Kiev on Unsplash