Women's coats are super popular fashion pieces. Although coats generally refer to longer and warmer type jackets, all sorts of jacket-type outerwear can be classified as coats. Plus these items can also be worn in the spring and summer making the definition of a women's coat even wider.
One thing is for sure, however, every woman should own at least one type of coat in a style and colour complementary to your personal taste.
Women's Coats: Everything You Should Know About
The shopping guide answers your most pressing questions about women's coats and how to styles them.
What are the different types of coats for women?
Coats for women come in various lengths, styles, and fabrics and some serve to keep you warms in cold weather and others simply as a fashion statement.
- Classic winter coat: Winter coats are designed to be worn over other attire such as jerseys, jackets, and dresses. They vary in warmth, length, and fabric.
- Parka: Parkas are warm coat designed for cold, windy weather. These coats are normally hooded and often lined with fur.
- Leather coat: These coats can be found in either real or faux leather. More often than not, these items are style pieces and can be bought in a shorter style or longer 'matrix-type'coat.
- Raincoat: Raincoats serve a specific purpose in that they are worn in rainy weather to keep other clothing dry and protected. These coats are lined with waterproof material to keep water from seeping through the coat.
- Down coat: Down coats are puffy coats lined with down to insulate heat. These coats can be either short or long.
What is the warmest winter coat?
The warmest women's coats are parkas and down coats. This is because these are lined with fur or down wich means cold is kept out and body heat is kept in. These coats can be worn over other clothes and jackets and are ideal when you have to be outside.
When should you wear a winter coat?
Women's winter coats are designed for cold weather. So it is ideally worn in winter. However, these coats can also be worn on colder autumn, spring or summer days.
How should a winter coat fit a woman?
Your coats should be big enough to be worn over other clothes, but not so large that you look frumpy wearing it. Winter coats especially are best when they are not to tight-fitting.
How do I choose the right coat for my body type?
There are different types of women's coats better suited to certain body types. For instance, longer coats work well on taller women and a coat with a tailored waist or belt will slim you down. For most women, and especially if you want to war other clothes under your coat, you need one that has a looser fit, is a-line, and has spacious arms.
Women's coats are popular clothing items and certainly, something every woman should add to her wardrobe.
Coats can last for many years so choose one in a neutral colour and cut that enhances your personal style.