Gloves are an important part of a women’s wardrobe. They can be both functional – i.e. protect the hands against the cold or used for sporting activities – and fashionable. Women’s gloves come in many different styles and can be worn in any season, depending on the type of glove.
Below we have compiled a guide to buying gloves and the questions most women ask about them.
Everything you Should Know About Women’s Gloves
Choosing a pair of gloves is fairly easy once you know what you are using them for as well as the colour and style you prefer.
What are the different types of Women’s Gloves?
Women’s gloves serve two purposes: one is for style and the other for a specific function. We have listed the ones you are most likely to buy.
- Evening gloves: An elbow-length glove in soft material. These women’s gloves are worn with formal wear.
- Cut-out gloves/Driving gloves: These gloves are cut out at the fingers and have patterned cut out at the top of the hand.
- Wool gloves: these are simple knitted gloves used in the winter. However, they are best for moderately cold temperatures.
- Thermal Mittens: Thermal mitts are made for cold weather to keep hand warm in the winter.
- Leather gloves/ button gloves: Gloves made from leather and fastened with a button at the wrist. It’s a more fashionable glove, although it also keeps the hand warm.
- Fingerless Gloves: Fingerless gloves are knitted gloves that are worn to keep hands warm while leaving the fingers free.
- Skiing gloves: Skiing gloves are a functional item used when snow skiing for heat insulation and grip.
- Gym gloves: Gym gloves are also functional and used to grip weights in the gym to guard the hands against blisters.
What are the best gloves for cold weather?
Mittens, leather/button gloves and any form of a thermal glove are best to keep the cold at bay. It is important to consider thermal gloves above the only wool-knitted ones in the winter months because it protects your hands from extreme cold weather.
Are gloves fashionable?
Gloves are fashionable but also functional. They can spruce up an outfit while keeping your hands warm. Different styles of gloves make their way into the spotlight depending on the year. However, a pair of mittens and leather gloves are timeless pieces.
Why are mittens better than gloves?
Mittens are better for icy cold weather. Regular gloves separate your fingers which does not generate heat, whereas mittens do and therefore your hands warm up faster and stay warm.
There are plenty of women’s gloves to choose from, and some of them have a definite purpose, such as safeguarding the hands from the cold or blisters. Other gloves are a fashion statement that will give winter looks a feminine edge.
Lighter, less insulated gloves can be worn in autumn as well and silk or evening gloves for formal occasions in the summer.
Photo by freestocks on Unsplash